Media and Technology Management
Research and Publications
(Master - SS '19)
2 SWS, 6 CP
Thursdays, 5:45 pm - 9 pm, selected session dates see below
Location: HS XXIII (WiSo-Building)
Start: Apr. 11, '19
Held in English
Mandatory Pre-Assignment - see below
The course will cover the basics of conducting research and writing a master
thesis / paper on a topic in the field of Media and Technology Management. It
will introduce research methods and approaches, emphasize the challenge and
importance of properly outlining one's work, and get students accustomed to
reading and perhaps reviewing research papers.
For most of the course, students may, but do not have to choose their content focus (with the broad field of MTM) - ensurin that they have not worked on it for any other course before. Groups will be formed during the first course meeting. Registration details are shown below.
Dates and Location (max. 5 dates)
Apr. 11, Apr. 25, May 09, May 23, Jun. 27, Jul. 04 - all '19 in HS XXIII. (max. 5 sessions)
Mandatory Pre-Assignment - due Apr. 04, '19, 11:00 am
There are two tasks:
1) Read Tsoukas, H., (2005) Complex Knowledge, Oxford Press, Oxford, UK, Ch 13, 299-320 and prepare the essential points on Table 13.1 and of Mintzberg-Ansoff-Debate on max. six slides presentable slides (individual)
[Slides: black & white, minimum font size 20 throughout - incl. cover sheet and your name on all slides, no (!) integrated pdfs, - READABLE and consistently formatted!]
Have your name, Matr. Number, sMail address, study program, and begin of program (1st master sem.) on the first slide.
Have your name on every slide (black on white!)
Filename: MTM-RaP-I-Tsoukas-LASTNAME.ppt(x) (lastname only, no accent etc!, do not forget the hyphens, do not include any spaces or anything else)
2) Read Mumford, E. (2006) Researching People Problems: Some Advice to a Student, Information Systems Journal, 16(4), 383-389.
For two of her recommendations, state the recommendation (50 words) and provide your experience / thoughts and and refer to at least ONE OTHER ACADEMIC reference (150 words). AHve a reference list at the end of this assignment (same page) Advice: Check out the author.
Have your name, Matr. Number, sMail address, study program, and begin of program (1st master sem.), your chosen task/title, then continue on the same page. One page in total!
Times New Roman 12 pt, single-spaced, scientific writing style, references IN THE TEXT (no footnotes), complete reference list (see www.mtm.uni-koeln.de).
File name: MTM-RaP-I-Mumford-Lastname.doc(x) Do not forget the hyphen, do not include spaces or anything else in the filename!
- Have your Name, Matr.-Number, sMail address and study program and its start date on top of the first page; then continue typing, no cover sheet
- Times New Roman 12 pt, single-spaced
- Scientific writing style – no jokes, no slang, hardly any passive voice
- References IN THE TEXT (no footnotes), avoid "ibid."
- Consistent format (including spacing)
- Page numbers of references only for word-by-word citations
- Complete reference list formatted appropriately with all required information per file (see www.mtm.uni-koeln.de) – even if it is only one source.
From your sMail account, please send ONE eMail to claudia.loebbecke <at> uni-koeln.de AND to denis.niederle <at> uni-koeln.de and attach two non-protected files.
eMail subject line: MTM-RaP-I-Lastname (lastname only, no accent etc!, do not forget the hyphens, do not include any spaces or anything else)
Pre-Assignment: 20% - due April 04, '19, 11:00 am via eMail (see above)
Smaller exercises, discussions, and assignments during the sessions: 40% (individual or group)
Written and oral final assignment: 40 % (group; details during the course).
All grading elements have to be passed in order to pass the course.
"Alle Prüfungselemente müssen mindestens bestanden sein."
Required Course Registration until Apr. 01, '19, 11:00 am
A successful registration for the examination requires
(1) an MTM-Master-Account,
(2) online registration HERE for THIS course, AND
(3) a signed application form in our mailbox, Pohligstr.1, 50969 Cologne
On April 1, we will forward the participant list to KLIPS / WiSO-PA, which will allow you (only those registered for the course) to register for the examination. After that you can and must register for the examination by April 4, 2019. We will send those of you registered a reminding eMail to your sMail account.
Notwendige Veranstaltungsanmeldung bis 1. Apr. '19, 11:00 Uhr
Eine erfolgreiche Anmeldung erfordert
(1) einen MTM-Master-Account,
(2) Online-Anmeldung für die Veranstaltung
(3) unterschriebenes Anmeldeformular in unserem Briefkasten, Pohligstr.1, 50969 Köln.
Am 1. April leiten die Teilnehmerliste an KLIPS / WiSo-PA. Daraufhin können und müssen Sie sich selbst bis zum 4. April 2019 für die Prüfung anmelden. Wir werden den für den Veranstaltung Angemeldeten eine Erinnerungsmail an ihr sMail Account senden.
For registration-related questions, please contact rclaudia.loebbecke <at> uni-koeln.de from your sMail account.
© Department of Media and Technology Management